One of the few fun parts of working in creative services for a retail company is “sourcing”.
“What is sourcing?”, you may ask.
We find about 90% of our props online, but the other 10%……we “source” locally in Dallas.
On a recent sourcing trip I spied a handful of things worthy of adding to the inventory of crap in our own house.
Here are a few of those beauties.
At Lula B’s West on Riverfront Blvd., I noticed these “inspired by” Wassily chairs. Dig the style so much, and $295 each seemed like a fair price.
Next door at White Elephant Antiques, I was immediately drawn to this water-color of a Sioux Indian. The frame is a little heinous, but for $149 it would make an awesome addition to some lucky person’s decor.
I couldn’t decide if this sign was genuine or some kind of Pottery Barn repro. It was certainly weathered enough to look “real”. This one was almost $300, about 10 times more than I’d want to pay for it…but still pretty cool.
I have wanted one of these metal military globes for years, and the prices are always WAYYY out of my comfort level. I couldn’t see that tag (if you have to ask, you can’t afford it)…so I will just assume it was just slightly over $800. OUCH
This very cool, extremely Mass-produced looking, orange metal stool was near the exit. $95 seemed rediculous……but has certainly inspired me to attempt making our own version. HHHMMMM, wheels are turning now.
I also hit Nadeau Home, a warehouse filled with Indian imports. It’s always a surprise what we find here, because they never have the same inventory for very long. Because it’s a warehouse with absolutely No distracting decorative……the prices are extremely sensable.
I’m kinda crazy about this cast-iron table with the hand crank to raise and lover it. Very “Steam Punk” and “Vintage Industrial”. I’ve never seen anything like it. The top was a little small for a dining table, but could easily be covered in a big wooden disk. $495 is still a little high, but about a third of what the Pottery Barn version would be.
This light weight red metal cabinet was pretty cool too. It reminded me of boxcars, the door closes with a big bar that slides up into the closure…and on working casters even. 2 or 3 of these would be great in a our garage. Much more attractive than open shelving. $495 seemed pretty reasonable for something unique that not everyone and their mother would have.
So there are a handful of things that sparked my interest recently.
“But did i find any of the things that I was ‘sourcing’?”
No, no I didn’t.
Can’t imagine why. I was obviously very focused.