This is seriously embarrassing….
Although we have had a mile-long list of improvements/tweaks for our house before we even stepped foot inside, we have neglected to share any of it here…. under this “To Do List” tab.
I have to apologize.
Can I add, “Make To Do list”, under the “To Do List” tab? …..Well, I certainly should…..
Allow me to make amends…I colored the projects we have finished (or almost finished in some cases) in orange and linked back to the posts about such project.
Here is a list of the things we did the first year:
- Painted every room (except the guest room and bathrooms) this includes the ceilings, brick fireplace and most of the trim
- Installed the coolest cedar horizontal fence in the neighborhood
- Changed every light fixture and ceiling fan
- On that note, installed can lights in the living room, master bedroom, both halls, and surrounding the exterior
- Continued the parquet floor in the entryway and hall closet
- Installed the same white wide plank blinds in every window
- Hung curtains
- Removed the pony walls, walled over useless closet and wallpapered the entryway
- Changed every switchplate to brushed stainless and changed switches to new ones
- Replaced the dated mailbox, front patio light and house numbers
- Scraped popcorn ceilings from master bedroom and hallway
And now the “Still Plan on Doing” list that we wrote at the beginning of year number 2,
- Install can lights in office, guest room and front living room
- Replace electrical box
- Stain the fence
- Paint the eaves chocolate-brown, and the garage cream to match the rest of the house
- Replace the door/window in the back of the house with double doors onto a deck
- Build that deck
- Replace Master bedroom window with double doors onto deck
- Replace wood floor to be consistent throughout whole house
- Install sconces on either side of the fireplace, or maybe in the Living room…not quite sure where yet (they ended up in the Master bedroom)
- Replace the kitchen counters with something solid
- Farmhouse sink, tile backsplash, light glass front cabinets, mount under cabinet lights, relocate microwave and add a vent hood over range
- Cover outside posts and ceiling of front patio in cedar stained same as fence
- Build modern shutters for 3 front windows
- Gut and update both bathrooms (we don’t fit in the Master bath shower right now… and have been using it to store Christmas ornaments) repair walls, install slate flooring, overhead lighting, new shower, new sink, new toilet, and wall of accent tile
- Build wood accent wall in Master bedroom behind bed
- Crown moulding in the Master bedroom, paint existing baseboards white
- Remove closet doors and header in bedrooms
- Install updated closet fixturing in all 3 closets and linen closet
- Replace bedroom and office ceiling fans with industrial models
- Tape and bed the garage ceiling, line the walls in cedar planking, paint the floor, install barn lights, build workbench and storage over the garage door.
- Build tool shed and potting bench on side of house, add small fence section to hide air conditioner
- Add raised vegetable/herb gardens to the back yard
- Update front flower beds with raised rock walls and assorted cactus/agave/succulents
- Have chimney cleaned and install rain cap on top
- Finnish radiant barrier in attic
- Install Solar Powered Attic Fan
- Replace Air Conditioner
- Replace the front door with a modern one more fitting to the house
- Paint the guest room walls and ceiling
- Install sprinkler system
- Build storage banquette under kitchen window
- Replace current water heater with a tank-less version
I will continue to update this project list as our priorities change.
Can you post more pics of your fence please? And you have got to check out this garage door revamp: http://www.remodelaholic.com/2010/03/ugly-garage-door-be-gone-carriage-door-tutorial/
Our fence has been up for 2 years now , and is still only partially stained. So embarassing to admit it. It’s a huge project to stain, and when we arrange for someone to do it for us …..it rains. When it does happen, I’ll post a ton of pics….And Yeah! I love that garage door turned to carriage doors!,,they make it look easy…..