I draw a lot of sketches for projects. Sometimes I forget about them entirely…….and other times, I draw the same projects over and over.
This is one of those repetitive ideas I’ve had.
I found this sketch on my notepad by the workbench in the garage.
Remember almost a year ago when we started collecting pallet wood to make our headboard wall in the master bedroom? We decided that it was just a little
rustic nasty-gross to put in the bedroom. Well, I didn’t get rid of it……..
I know, I know, “Cough-Hoarder-Cough”.
Good thing, Because I thought I’d hack it up to make a big ol’ barn wood (read that – pallet wood) star.
I started by cutting all those pallet pieces into what I believed was 5 perfect 36 degree points.
I had to get Jamie’s math skills involved with this one.
The 2 of us working together could NOT figure out the process for making a perfect five point star.
We Googled. We Sketched. We attempted to make a small 12 inch version……Nothing worked.
We gave up and went to bed.
When I looked in the garage the next morning, this is what the new work table looked like…
Notice how there are several star drawings, a protractor (we made a 9 PM run to H Depot), and a dozen small 36 degree mitered wood pieces. None of it helped.
Way Too Complicated……I just can’t do “perfect”. But I might be able to do “folk art”.
The very definition of folk art is,” Imperfect art the requires very little natural talent, skill or exerted effort of any kind to accomplish”.
(LIGHT BULB over my head)
I took a deep breath, and decided to approach the whole project from a “folk art” point of view.
I lay all the cut pallet pieces on the floor, where Jamie had started drawing a Pentagram in chalk as a guide (we both agreed that it looked like we were resorting to calling on the Dark Lord to guide us …..and erased it quickly. I don’t think even “He, who shall not be named” has the power to create a perfect star), and lay out my star-ish shape.
It was a pretty good start.
I made the 2 bottom “legs” the same length and met the 2 smaller boards in the exact middle with the same angle. ‘Till everything looked like this.
It’s not a perfect star. But it definitely has the look I was going for.
Then I reinforced all the joints with small boards…..I put a scrap under each joint and shot it full of brads.
Here’s what it looks like from behind.
Here’s a closer shot of the joint pieces…just scraps really.
I wanted everything to have a “Vintage Barnwood” look. So I dry brushed over the palate wood with the only flat white paint we had. Ceiling Primer.
If you’ve never used a dry brush technique. It’s pretty simple. Just dip the tip of the brush in paint, wipe the excess paint off your brush on a piece of scrap and then lightly drag it over your surface. Use way less paint than you think that you need. It’s much better to do a thin layer of paint and keep adding more, than to saturate your surface and make it look painted.
I wanted the wood grain to show through. Like old, weathered barn wood.
I think I achieved that look.
See? Not too white, and not too “woody”? Just what I wanted.
My star was extremely flimsy. I had a plan to reinforce it further and hide the weird joint pieces from the sides. So I trimmed the whole star, inner layer as well as outer, with mitered cedar 1X2 s that I also dry brushed….but, this time with red paint. There are still a lot of cedar scraps in the garage left from when we lined the walls. How could I throw them away? “Every part of the buffalo”. Remember that mantra?
I had a small tester of Martha Stewart red from a different project that never saw the light of day. It’s called “BARN”. I think that name was exactly what I was going for with this project.
I thought it looked a little “Raspberry” at first, but once it dried….perfection.
The perfect “Barn Red”, that Martha sure knows how to name her colors.
Still a little flimsy. No worries. I was ready for that too.
I added a second 2 1/2 inch star trim inside the first star with cedar we had left in the garage. This one was much easier. I didn’t need to calculate any angles. I just followed the lines of the big star for all my angled cuts. I attached it with more brads. I made sure that I only shot the brads into the very edges of the wood, not the middle. I’ll explain why later.
My first instinct was to dry brush this red too, but changed my mind when I saw it. (not to ruin any surprises, but y’all will see why in a later post) So white ceiling primer was dry brushed on the inner cedar star as well.
Once I got everything together, I touched up the red, to be a little bit more “Red” and to get into all the crevices that I didn’t see on the first go-round with the red paint.
Here’s my finished star. Almost 6 feet tall.
Pretty Cool? Right? Everything I used, I already had. So it was practically free.
…..and this is only HALF of the project!
Just wait ’till y’all see what we do with it.
Cannot WAIT to see what is up with this! I think it looks great! Hope the two of you had a wonderful Thanksgiving.
Hope you had a great Thanksgiving as well Vickie. I’m still working on that star right now, and Jamie is in the kitchen making Christmas cards. The tree is up and that feels like a huge acomplishment…
We’ll keep ya posted on the rest of the December progress around here….
Pingback: My Homepage
Pingback: “The New Normal” Set for Sale « The Cavender Diary
Pingback: Wood Pallet Big Barn Wood Star Project | The Homestead Survival
Pingback: 30 Clever Ideas for DIY Light Fixtures